Educational Assistant Diploma Program (Full-time)
- Next Intakes:
- September 25, 2017 - March 16, 2018 (includes an eight-week practicum )
- Typical Schedule: six-months in duration, Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm.
- Tuition Fees
- Apply for this program now
Full time students are required to submit a current Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector) and Child Abuse Registry. Students are advised to apply for these documents approximately two months prior to the start date of the program to ensure they documents meet the requirements to participate in the practicum.
Through the Educational Assistant Diploma Program (EADP) at The University of Winnipeg Professional, Applied and Continuing Education, you will gain both the theoretical and practical knowledge you need to become a confident and effective presence in the classroom. Since its inception in 1987, the Educational Assistant Diploma Program has provided innovative and valuable training for students, as well as for qualified and knowledgeable educational assistants, in our school system. The program focuses on the role of the educational assistant within the learning system. Students have the opportunity to share experiences with other educational assistants and gain a broader view of current practices within the school system. Key topics explored include development, reading, writing, language, mathematics and behaviour.
Next Start Dates
- A thorough understanding of the school system
- Knowledge about current education and school-law issues and how they affect the educational assistant’s role
- A practical understanding of exceptional children and how to help them
- Knowledge about language development, human development and how students learn
- Studying strategies
- Ability to incorporate individual learning styles into the classroom
- Learning disability remediation
- Ability to work with exceptional students
- Math, reading and writing remediation
- Competence observing and recording student behaviour
- Ability to work with violent or aggressive students
- Behaviour management techniques
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Articulation for Credit
Graduates of the Educational Assistant Diploma Program may be eligible for a maximum of 12 credit hours in the Faculty of Education at The University of Winnipeg.