Educational Assistant Diploma Program (Part-time)
Through the Educational Assistant Diploma Program (EADP) at The University of Winnipeg Professional, Applied and Continuing Education, you will gain both the theoretical and practical knowledge you need to become a confident and effective presence in the classroom. Since its inception in 1987, the Educational Assistant Diploma Program has provided innovative and valuable training for students, as well as for qualified and knowledgeable educational assistants, in our school system. The program focuses on the role of the educational assistant within the learning system. Students have the opportunity to share experiences with other educational assistants and gain a broader view of current practices within the school system. Key topics explored include development, reading, writing, language, mathematics and behaviour.
- A thorough understanding of the school system
- Knowledge about current education and school-law issues and how they affect the educational assistant’s role
- A practical understanding of exceptional children and how to help them
- Knowledge about language development, human development and how students learn
- Studying strategies
- Ability to incorporate individual learning styles into the classroom
- Learning disability remediation
- Ability to work with exceptional students
- Math, reading and writing remediation
- Competence observing and recording student behaviour
- Ability to work with violent or aggressive students
- Behaviour management techniques
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Articulation for Credit
Graduates of the Educational Assistant Diploma Program may be eligible for a maximum of 12 credit hours in the Faculty of Education at The University of Winnipeg.
To graduate, students have up to five years to complete the 348 hours of study. Students may take courses without pursuing the diploma (with the exception of Non Violent Crisis Intervention).
Sessions of study begin in September, January and April.
Course schedules are subject to change, depending upon enrollment.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org