Essential Skills for Managers - DPS 15228
|DPS 15228||36 hours|
Collaboration is essential to the new boundaryless organizational structure. Positively channelling the various archetypal influences and integrating effective cross-functional teamwork within the organization is a key role of the manager.
In this course, students will gain an understanding of the fundamental skills necessary for leading teams and achieving results through others. This course will include topics such as performance management and corrective action, team development, cross-functional coordination, change management, diversity in the workplace, and employee engagement. The course will also focus on soft skills development in the areas of active listening, conflict resolution, communication, coaching, and feedback.
On completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Recognize the core competencies and abilities required to effectively manage people in diverse organizations;
- Employ a variety of tools and approaches to set and manage performance expectations;
- Utilize a proven model to work through problem behaviours with individual employees and document discipline issues;
- Understand the key steps to building an effective team;
- Develop conflict management skills and harness dissenting opinions to enhance collaborative decision-making processes.
- Textbook required