What is the entrance requirement for an international student?
- International students are required to hold a minimum of an undergraduate degree
- Higher National Diploma from Nigeria is an exception to the above
The Cumulative Grade Point Average or Final Percentage on these transcripts will be assessed for eligibility. For more details contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For the Project Management Diploma and the Human Resource Management Diploma one (1) year of professional work experience is also required for admission.
What is the English language requirement?
Applicants, whose previous education was completed outside of Canada and where English may or may not have been the medium of instruction, must submit ONE of the following English language proficiency measures:
- A minimum overall academic IELTS band score of 6.5 and a minimum score of 6.0 for the writing and reading categories *
- A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based)
- A minimum CANTEST score of 4.5 in the listening, writing and reading categories
- Three years of full-time education in English at secondary (high school) or post-secondary (university or college) levels in Canada
- Graduation from a Manitoba high school with at least one Senior 4 Core English credit with a minimum grade of 70% (Comprehensive Focus, Literary Focus or Transactional Focus)
- Graduation from a Canadian high school with at least one Grade 12 English with a minimum grade of 70%
- Graduation from a Canadian curriculum high school outside of Canada with at least one Grade 12 English with a minimum grade of 70% (students taking a New Brunswick curriculum are not included. You must present an IELTS test)
- An Academic Level 5 attainment through the UWinnipeg English Language Program or recognized equivalent
Minimum C+ in Academic Writing 1 and 2 through the UWinnipeg English for Specific Purposes Program
* The Public Relations, Marketing & Strategic Communication Diploma requires a minimum of 25 in the TOEFL Writing category or 6.5 in the academic IELTS Writing category and overall academic IELTS score of 7.0.
The University reserves the right to request English language proficiency testing result documentation for any international applicant.
What computer skills do I need?
You must be proficient with some kind of word processing software for assignment purposes, a Windows or MAC platform, social media and email communication tools, and the Internet.
Do I need a study permit to enter this program?
International students require a study permit to attend a Canadian university. To obtain an application and detailed instructions, contact the Canadian Visa Office nearest you, or visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for further information. Study permits cost $125 CDN and can take up to three months to process. To complete the application process, you will need to contact a Canadian embassy or consulate or government representative.
In addition to the application and fee, you will be required to provide the following documentation:
- Valid passport
- Letter of acceptance from The University of Winnipeg Professional, Applied and Continuing Education
- Evidence of adequate funds to cover the cost of tuition and living expenses for you and any dependents coming to Canadian with you (for example, personal bank statements, letters pledging financial support from family or other sponsors, or letters from your academic institution offering you employment or bursary, scholarship or fellowship money)
- Other documents, such as the results of a medical examination. Please check with your particular visa office
Students from some countries require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. These countries are listed on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. You do not have to make a separate application or pay a separate fee. An officer will issue it at the same time as the documentation that you will need to enter Canada as a student.
If you are planning to study in Canada for six months or less, you may study under Temporary Resident Status as a visitor.
International students changing institutions within Canada and who already hold a valid study permit are not required to apply for a new permit, but should include a copy of their visa authorization form or immigration papers with their application package.