Professional Studies FAQ

Do I need to apply for admission?

Professional, Applied and Continuing Education has an open registration process that allows students the freedom to register for courses without applying for admission to a program first. However, your application for admission makes you visible in our system, identifies your intentions, and makes it easier for us to support your long-term plans. We are working to streamline part-time course scheduling according to the needs of the certificate and diploma students and seeking new ways to communicate this scheduling information to our students. Admission to a certificate or diploma program will help us serve you better.

What is the minimum entrance requirement?

Applicants must be high school graduates with standing in at least 28 credits, which satisfy the Manitoba Education and Training Senior (1-4) high school program requirements.

What educational documents do I need for the admissions process?

The University will not process applications for admission without the accompanying official transcripts from all previous academic pursuits.

Students must present original transcripts from international universities and present an official English translation of any transcripts in languages other than English. The University may hold these transcripts for up to 30 days and will return the documents once the admissions process is concluded.

When will I know if I have been accepted into the program?

You will be notified in writing within four weeks of application and the acceptance letter will confirm any transfer credit that the University has applied to your program requirements.

What course should I take first?

If you have been out of school for a few years, you may wish to start with Learning Techniques Seminar followed by either Effective Oral Communication or Effective Written Communication. We advise you to take a "Principles" or "Fundamentals" course, such as the Principles of HR Management or Marketing Fundamentals, as a program overview prior to diving into elective courses or more advanced topics.

What is average class size?

The average class size ranges from 12 to 30 students and depends on the course requirements. The University of Winnipeg is committed maintaining low student/instructor ratios so as to optimize the learning of our students and create an interactive participatory classroom environment.

How long will it take to complete my studies as a part-time student?

You have up to five years from the date of admission to complete a part -time program, however most students finish their requirements within a few years.

Can I fast-track my studies as a part-time student?

Yes, you can fast-track your studies and should consult a Program Coordinator to map out an academic plan that reflects your goals for completion and balances the competing demands of work and home.

When are full-time programs offered?

Full-time programs all begin in September or October and end in June.

Can I take more than one course at the same time?

Yes, you may take more than one course at the same time if you wish to accelerate your studies and finish sooner. However, work load varies between individual courses and you may need the insider's knowledge that a Program Coordinator can lend with some academic advising help.

What is the difference between a certificate and a diploma?

The main difference between a certificate and a diploma program is the number of course hours and program requirements. At the University of Winnipeg a certificate program has less than 300 hours of study and a diploma is a program has more than 300 hours of study.

What elective courses should I select?

Part-time students have the flexibility to choose elective courses based on skills preferences, innovative job trends, or job requirements. You may wish to consult with a Program Coordinator to get an inside track on hot employment trends or high demand skills, which might help identify elective course options.

How much do most part-time Professional Studies programs cost

Program Total Tuition Books
Advanced Diploma in Leadership in Early Childhood Care & Education $5000 $500
Arts and Cultural Management $3000 $250
Human Resource Management $5000 $1000
Management $4000 $600
Marketing Management $5400 $1000
Project Management $7000 $1500
Public Relations $5500 $1000

Note: the above information is an approximation of the total tuition and textbook costs, which is subject to price fluxuation of textbook fees and the elective course selection.

Do you have a tuition payment installment plan?

Yes, the University may authorize a request for a tuition payment installment plan in extenuating circumstances and subject to advanced prior request, space availability in a course or program of study, and the presentation of post-dated payment.

Does the University have on-line registration?

Not yet, but this is coming in the near future.

Do I qualify for financial assistance?

You may be eligible for assistance through Manitoba Education and Training if you:

  • Are unemployed and currently receiving employment insurance benefits
  • Have received benefits in the past 36 months and are currently unemployed
  • Have received maternity or paternal benefits within the last 60 months
  • Do not have a job to return to

Please consult an Education Counselor at one of the Manitoba Competitiveness: Training and Trade offices.

To qualify for the Manitoba Student Aid Program, you must:

  • Have a good credit rating
  • Have unmet financial need and fall within the prescribed income limit
  • Be a Manitoba resident and have lived in the province for the past 12 months consecutively or longer

To determine the funding eligibility criteria, please refer to the Manitoba Student Aid website,

Wesley and Buhler Buildings