Training and Development - DPS 15246
|DPS 15246||36 hours|
Businesses that foster a continuous learning culture and build effective organizational development systems are better positioned for superior competitive performance and to withstand technological or environmental change. HR professionals need a sound foundation of training and development and the essential skills to design systems that are effective in supporting the organizational strategy. The primary objective of training and development is to improve organizational effectiveness and create actionable and measurable change both in individual and organizational performance. The course provides an overview of the function and practice of training and development and includes a discussion of current trends and developments.
PrerequisitesPrinciples of Human Resource Management
On completion of this course, students will:
- Differentiate between training and development and understand how training and organizational development strategy align with the overall business objectives;
- Gain an understanding of the principles of adult learning theory and the key theorists, terminology, stages of learning, and learning theories and models;
- Gain an understanding of formal, non-formal, and informal learning, explore the spectrum of synchronous and asynchronous systems, and consider how to incorporate these into different training initiatives;
- Examine the connection between learning and teaching styles, motivation and conditions that facilitate a positive learning environment;
- Understand the use of a variety of tools used in ranking skills, determining job competencies, and classifying job families;
- Learn how to design needs analysis systems in relation to organizational training objectives, to maximize both the individual and the organizational capabilities, to integrate performance management requirements into the needs analysis process, and to include an effective evaluation mechanism;
- Plan and design a step-by-step training exercise, mitigate potential design issues, and facilitate the transfer of learning;
- Understand the implications of human rights, employment equity, employment standards, and apprenticeship legislation to training and development;
- Understand how to evaluate the effectiveness of training and development programs and expense program to measure ROI benefits.
- Textbook required